This record (R4634026) is held in Archives New Zealand, Wellington Office  · Order this item to view in this Office


RECORD INFORMATION print this page

Title Years
Ngawhatu Hospital - Staff Attendance Book (R4634026) 1957 - 1972

Item ID Agency Series Accession Record group Box / Item Sep Record no. Part Alternative no. Record type
R4634026 ADHS 18773 W5502 13 / Text



FURTHER DETAILS OF THIS RECORD

RECORD SERIES period responsible
18773
Unregistered administration records more detail…

This series contained unregistered administration records of the Braemar and Ngawhatu Hospitals and their predecessor, the Nelson Mental Hospital. The records are largely day-to-day patient records, but does include some published nursing journals and administrative material.

go VIEW THE FULL DESCRIPTION
go VIEW ALL RECORDS BELONGING TO THIS »

1863 - 1983

CONTROLLING AGENCY / DEPARTMENT period responsible
AEJS
Nelson Mental Hospital more detail…

The Nelson Lunatic Asylum opened in 1864 on Waimea Road.

Braemar Lodge was built in 1915, and “Braemar” became the name for the whole asylum complex. Ngawhatu Psychiatric Hospital in Stoke was opened in 1922 and all patients were transferred from Braemar to Ngawhatu.


1864 - 1922
AEJV
Braemar Hospital more detail…

Braemar Hospital was an institution run by the Nelson Hospital Board, primarily for people with intellectual disabilities. It appears that the early focus was on children, but by the 1950s the Hospital also catered for adults, and was a specialist service for people with an intellectual disability. The Braemar site was immediately opposite Nelson Hospital on Waimea Road, Nelson and was amalgamated with the Hospital in 2000.


1922 - 1983
AEJU
Ngawhatu Psychiatric Hospital more detail…

Ngawhatu Psychiatric Hospital in Stoke, was opened in 1922 and all patients were transferred from Braemar to Ngawhatu. In 2000 Ngawhatu Psychiatric Hospital was closed and its functions and services became part of Nelson Hospital.


1983 - 2000
ADHS
Nelson Marlborough District Health Board more detail…

The Nelson Marlborough District Health Board was established on 1 January 2001 under the Public Health and Disability Act 2000. The Board provided health services to around 140,000 people in Nelson, Marlborough and Golden Bay. It replaced the Nelson Marlborough Health Services (a Crown Health Enterprise [CHE]).


unknown - 2001
AAWI
Nelson Provincial Museum more detail…

In late 1842, The Literary and Scientific Institution of Nelson (the Institute) was opened, firstly as a Library (with attached museum storehouse) and subsequently incorporating the Museum, with a public membership of sixty by 1844.  


By the mid-1960s the two facilities of the Institute were separated - the library coming under the direct control of Nelson City Council and the Museum under the administrative control of the newly-formed Nelson Provincial Museum Trust Board. During 2001 Tasman Bays Heritage Trust purchased the former Hotel Nelson site on the corner of Hardy and Trafalgar Streets, Nelson to house the museum. In October 2005 the Museum opened on that site.


2001 - 2004

   OPEN ACCESS

Anyone can order this record. It may be viewed at the office shown below, or a copy ordered.
ENQUIRE ABOUT THIS ITEM
A digital copy of this item can be viewed HERE.

ARRANGE TO VIEW THIS ITEM IN THIS OFFICE

Wellington Viewing Services are currently suspended due to COVID-19
— for details visit www.archives.govt.nz.

Record Location:

Archives New Zealand, National Office, Wellington
10 Mulgrave Street
Wellington 6011

Ph: 04 499 5595Fax: 04 495 6210
Email: research.archives@dia.govt.nz


  
top

Version Number: 4
Date Approved: 28/10/2021