All records have open public access unless they fall into one of the following categories:
1. All records are restricted for 25 years from date of file closure in order to protect the political and administrative processes.
2. The following records are restricted for 70 years from date of closure in order to preserve personal privacy:
Staff in Confidence files
Files of a disciplinary and investigative nature
Complaints or irregularities
Honours and awards, housing, legal aid and promotions
Other records containing sensitive information on individual personnel
3. Records containing financially sensitive information are restricted for 70 years from date of closure in order to protect business interests
4. Records containing personal medical information or information linking casualty names with injuries, accidents or sickness are restricted for 100 years from date of closure in order to preserve personal privacy.
5. Records relating to criminal proceedings outside the jurisdiction of the New Zealand Defence Force are restricted for 100 years from date of closure in order to preserve personal privacy.
6. The following military chaplain records are restricted in order to protect personal privacy:
Baptism and Confirmation Registers restricted for 100 years from date of last entry
Marriage Registers are restricted for 80 years from date of last entry
Death Registers are restricted for 50 years from date of last entry
7. Records containing legal advice are restricted in accordance with paragraphs 4.58 to 4.68 of the Cabinet Manual 2008 and are not to be released without the approval of the Attorney-General.
8. The record of proceedings of a court of inquiry are restricted indefinitely in accordance with s 200T of the Armed Forces Discipline Act 1971 and are not to be disclosed without the authority of the superior commander of the Service concerned.
9. Court Martial records are restricted indefinitely in accordance with s 75 of the Court Martial Act 2007 and require the authority of the Judge Advocate General for disclosure.
10. Some NZDF files are restricted from record lists for 100 years from date of file closure for reasons of security for serving military personnel and to protect sensitive personal privacy.
Defence Contact - Information Services Manager,
HQ NZ Defence Force,
Private Bag, WELLINGTON
Restriction expires end of:
read more about restrictions…
Once you have been granted access, bring the original letter with you when you place your order for the records.