Preservation restriction relating to non issuable items: Some of the Colonial Secretary's Inwards Correspondence (IA1) files can not be issued individually by item due to their physical arrangement. i.e. Those correspondence files which were glued together. In such cases, in order to view the correspondence file, please request the issuable correspondence that the file was glued to. This file reference can be be found in the Additional archives description field.
1) All naturalisation case files and all other naturalisation files containing personal information are restricted for 100 years from the date of birth or 40 years from the date of death of the person the file documents. Where dates of birth are not included in the file, such files have been restricted for 100 years from the close year of the file. To gain access to restricted records, proof confirming a date of birth or death outside the stated restriction periods, or written permission from the access contact, will be required.
2) Some files in accession W2603, and some other files with file numbers 32/15/1/1, 60/99, 143/16, 151/15, 158/210, 158/211, 158/238, 158/658, and 158/710 are restricted indefinitely pending investigation of their restriction status.
3) For accession W1894: 200/- Lottery grant application files which contain applications from individuals for welfare purposes are restricted for 70 years from the date of file closure, to prevent the disclosure of sensitive personal information. These files are marked on the list.
4) A number of files in this series have reproductions available. Except where restrictions relating to naturalisation files apply, there are no restrictions on the content of these files. However where reproductions are available the original files are restricted for conservation reasons. Files can be accessed through microfilm and / or photocopies, the references for which are given in the series list. If no reproduction is available, or the reproduction is illegible, the original file will be issued.
5) Some files such as IA1 Colonial Secretary's Correspondence (19th Century) are not issuable as per preservation reason. Contact Archives New Zealand for permission to view or the availability of alternative access provisions. Viewing is by appointment only. This record is restricted under section 49(1)(a) of the Public Records Act 2005.
6) Some passport and permit files containing personal information are restricted until the death of the individual, or 100 years from the date of birth, whichever is sooner.
1) Requests for access to naturalisation files should be made in writing to the following:
General Manager Births Deaths Marriages Citizenship and Translations
Department of Internal Affairs
PO Box 805
Department of Internal Affairs central telephone: +64 4 495 7200
Freephone (New Zealand only): 0800 25 78 87
Department of Internal Affairs central email: email@example.com
2) Researchers wishing to access files which are restricted pending investigation of their restriction status or as per preservation restrictions should contact: Research Services, Archives New Zealand, P.O. Box 12050, Wellington, New Zealand.
3) Researchers wishing to access 200/- lottery grant application files before the end of the restriction period should contact: The Secretary, New Zealand Lottery Grants Board, P.O. Box 805, Wellington, New Zealand.
6) Researchers wishing to access passport and permit files before the end of the restriction period should contact:
Manager Service Delivery - Identity and Passport Services
Service Delivery and Operations
Department of Internal Affairs
Post Office Box 1568
Restriction expires end of:
read more about restrictions…
Once you have been granted access, bring the original letter with you when you place your order for the records.