The New Zealand Defence Force served to protect the sovereignty and advance the well-being of New Zealand by maintaining a level of armed forces sufficient to deal with small contingencies affecting New Zealand and its region and capable of contributing to collective efforts where wider interests were involved.
As part of the 1989 restructuring of the Ministry of Defence, Headquarters New Zealand Defence Force (HQ NZDF) was established as the central component of the Defence Force structure.
- Armed Forces Canteens Act 1948
- Armed Forces Discipline Act 1971
- Courts Martial Appeals Act 1953
- Defence Act 1990
- Military Decorations and Distinctive Badges Act 1918
- Military Manoeuvres Act 1915
- Patriotic and Canteen Funds Act 1947
- Visiting Forces Act 1939