Ministry of Works and Development, Head Office   (AADX)
1870 - 1988


GENERAL


The Immigration and Public Works Department was established in 1870 to undertake public works such as the construction of roads, railways, bridges, public buildings and power stations. In 1948 it became the Ministry of Works and in 1974, the Ministry of Works and Development. It was restructured as a State-Owned Enterprise in 1988.


go READ HISTORY & NOTES »


ALSO KNOWN AS

name year
Immigration and Public Works Department, Head Office
Ministry of Works, Head Office
Public Works Department, Head Office


Location : Wellington


Mandates

CREATED BY
  • Immigration and Public Works Act 1870
ABOLISHED BY
  • State Owned Enterprises Act 1986
RELEVANT LEGISLATION
  • Auckland Harbour Bridge Act 1950
  • Christchurch-Lyttelton Road Tunnel Act 1956
  • District Railways Act 1908
  • Engineering Associates Act 1961
  • Engineers Registration Act 1924
  • Finance Act (No. 2) 1930
  • Geothermal Energy Act 1953
  • Housing Act 1955
  • Inspection of Machinery Act 1874
  • Land Valuation Proceedings Amendment Act 1968
  • Local Railways Act 1914
see more …

Archives NZ description type : Agency (see more about description types)
Version Number: 4
Date Approved: 16/05/2017