Survey Department, Head Office   (AADQ)
1876 - 1891


GENERAL

In 1876, with the abolition of the provinces, a Surveyor-General was appointed to form a new department. The provincial survey offices were replaced with a Survey Office in each of the 12 land districts defined by the 1877 Land Act. The Survey Department was responsible for all New Zealand's survey and mapping needs.

go READ HISTORY & NOTES »


ALSO KNOWN AS

name year
Department of the Surveyor-General
General Survey Office


Location : Wellington


Mandates

CREATED BY
  • Land Act 1877
RELEVANT LEGISLATION
  • Waste Lands Administration Act 1876
Archives NZ description type : Agency (see more about description types)
Version Number: 2
Date Approved: 04/02/2005